Wednesday, February 08, 2006

You’re Going to be Jet-Li-ed.

I’m into the beginning of my second week here in India. From the last blog update, I’ve gotten a new room mate from Lithuania. She’s alright, I’d even say pretty good from the start – but as I experience increasing exposure to people of different cultures, I’m all the more aware of the chasm between Asian Oriental and Western social cultures. Honestly, to hell with the whole racial harmony mantra of reveling in the differences in cultures – the whole uniqueness. Well, not to hell with it entirely, but it is easy to be simply blinded by the mutual fascination of exotic differences and forget that it can amount to a certain degree of friction.

Let me give you the low down. She’s the latest flat mate to live in the company flat. Unfortunately, we’re short of a key. So she’s going to this wedding and decides to leave early from work since she’s has nothing more on her plate, after we headed to the immigration office with another one of our flat mates from Turkey. Without even asking my plans, ( technically the key is mine ) she asks for it saying telling me that I can get the key from another ( German ) flat mate when I get back to the office, because it works out easier that way. Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely no qualms about lending her the key. It’s just the fact that she didn’t bother finding out if that would inconvenience me and simply assuming that it would be perfectly fine. In fact, I had plans made. The other room mate with us, simply turned to me and said dismissively “Oh, it would be no problem.” Thing is, that would be no problem, IF I didn’t make plans for the evening and went straight home. And how come, she didn’t volunteer the key.

I’m getting mad all over again. I really don’t want to make a racial issue here, but there is some truth there. It’s the whole submissive oriental stereotype shit going on here. I see it happening to the other Taiwanese intern when another German intern wanted to use her desk. True, they were on friendly terms – but I felt like it was as though he was wheedling her into doing so. I could sense her frustration; she was being pushed from desk to desk. So in this way, I’m happily lumped into the category, of submissive oriental kid. It doesn’t help the least that in the new environment, I tend to be lot more reticent than vocal, more likely to say yes than no, even if I don’t feel like it. Guess what? Fuck them all. No, I’m not going to be deliberately antagonistic, but no way if I’m going to let anyone step over me.

Oh, Mr British Pratty F.F. ( Fucking Fag, for the record – no, I have nothing against gay people, but this one really does have something up his posterior, and I hope its razor sharp ) – I’ve given up on him. He’s really not nice. I’ve tried to be polite and civil, but I think my limit has been reached. Some individuals aren’t worth sweating for. Miss Turkey and him are good friends. I’m largely ambivalent towards Miss Turkey, I used to think she was one of the nicer ones – but a lot of them honestly wouldn’t step out of their comfort zone unless offered a carrot in terms of chocolate, tobacco or alcohol. I’ve run out of chocolate and emptied my liter bottle of Absolut and I’ve decided that my 9 packs of Virginia Slims should not be thrown away in bad investments.

Going back to my roomie – I do it like you know it when I feel disrespected – ala Titanic, become a distant ice-berg. Well, didn’t take her long to figure it out – she asked if I was angry with her. I was tempted continue the North Pole Treatment, but I decided it wouldn’t solve anything. So I tried reasonably as I could to explain it to her – which I did well I think. She said that she was sorry that it upset me and came over and gave me a hug, and that she didn’t think of it at that point in time and try not to do it again. Its partly chilling and partly relieving – I would never do that, I would ask if it would inconvenience them. Is this an Asian thing? I don’t see many of my friends back home doing this to me, angmoh ones included. Good, that she was willing to talk and change, but somehow I see this issue coming up again soon. I’m not sure if I should invest in this friendship. Maybe if someone western could enlighten me on this.

Basically, today was a bad day. Many other bullshit things happened which I haven’t mentioned.

By the way, I’m not your S-O-K ( submissive oriental kid ), do it again to me, and I’ll fuckin’ Jet-Li your ass.

Post-note: Granted, it was a bad day. I've decided I like my roomie a lot. FF is getting tolerable, but I'm taking effort to make sure we hardly cross paths. I don't think I need so much grief.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

*hug* for the bad day!

It'll only get better dear. The adjusting period may be a little longer than expected but you're there to get an experience and this is part of it. God put you there to do something, its a little too early to see what he has up his sleeve but im sure he's something good in store for you. Just have faith ok girl, hes there taking care of you and watching over you. so ure not alone over there :)

will comment more next time, QM homework waiting for me. Argh i hate QM, boring shit.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope everything gets better? The "getting-to-know" part can be a pain so I hope they're worth all the bullshit. Yea man... not happy, just Jet Li their asses!

Take care jeanie.. don't go out alone too much k..

10:38 AM  
Blogger *dep* said...

*hugs.. gotta hang on there babe.. =)

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jon Lai said...

What Adebelle is true.. and probably what I've been longing to tell you (2nd part at least). You know I did go to Finland for a while and this racial stigma exists, in whatever proportion I don't know. I guess it also depends on how quick you get used to it (if you do). Probably the Taiwan chick couldn't speak English or something I don't know. But yea, in general, the Europeans tend to be slightly more condescending. EVEN the ones here. Give a go though, you gonna have to live with them for 6 months, its no point falling out now. Besides she gave you a hug. awwww... at least she was sensitive enough to ask you and then apologise. Most pple wouldn't give a fuck... Asians included. However, I, for one DO give a fuck about you. So yeah, take care and God Bless. :)

1:16 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

i guess u gotta be a little tolerant, and maybe try to talk it over with them. i noe it's easier said than done, but i noe u can make it thru the next 6 months with these little pain-in-the-asses. hang in there

8:45 PM  
Blogger nubilewordsmith said...

I'm teething now.

Hi Adebelle,Chrissy, Mui, Jonnie boy ( Hahaha )and Ry,KQ,

Thanks for encouraging me and just reading. Yeah, it was a sucky day. But it did get better, I'm going to Delhi with the Singaporean Club later on tonight.

I'll update more in your later posts.

I hope life is treating all of you right. Update me with the latest happenings, ie, in Singapore. I'm talking News - like current affairs.

I do feel as if I'm existing in a whole different world here. Slightly disconnected.

Much Love.

Oh, but I swore one of my thambi colleagues was flirting with me. I think my thambi big boss is cute. But they all marry young and don't like skinny chink chicks like me.

They like blondes like my roomie :)

Most times, that's a MAJOR relief.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

It is your Lithuanian room mate! Hahaha... Damn, great to finally read and understand what the hell has happened then... I think you took things way too serious from the beggining... Ah, but who didn't... damn India can really drive you crazy!
Anyways, reading the idea about someone making you feel little makes me laugh my ass off... I am sure noone would ever in this world be able to do that! Hahaha...
Well, I have to admit I am a little sad our relationship ended up right there right then... After all, you were one of those few people who I really liked in India...
Hope we'll have a chance again someday... Happy New Year!

Hahaha...

Kisses,
Symka

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home