Friday, February 03, 2006

Shout out from India.

On The Plane

Chinese New Year was all the more poignant this year – with me scheduled to head to India on the second day. Even before I left home, I was already missing it. My parents, sister and room even. To me it was a little surprising, standing in the middle of my strewn room trying to identify that nervous anticipation that was peculiarly laced with sadness. Six months is a long time – well, at least the first that I’ve been away from home for so long a stretch.

I was brought shopping at Thomson Plaza to stock up on all the local food stuff that I couldn’t get there. This included 8 cans of Ayam Brand tuna, 3 cans of braised pork another 4 cans of luncheon meat and a whole array of other things. I even had a Samsonite hard suitcase to carry those in. The weigh-in 44.4kg. Unfortunately, as I checked in my baggage at the counter a couple hours ago, I was 14.4 kg overweight. For the accountants out there, that’s equivalent to 300 dollars of excess baggage levies.

The nice counter lady, allowed me 5 more kg on top of the 30 kg stipulated. My parents and cousins helped stuffed in as much as they could to my remaining suitcase. To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to lug my luggage about when I got to India. Well, there are people made for logistics and I’m certainly not one of them.

I’m currently on the Bangkok-Delhi leg of the journey. 8.01 pm Singapore time to be precise. I appreciate all the farewells and well-wishes from my dear friends, especially those who made their way down to Changi.

Mom, Dad – I love you so much. Like you said, India will be time for me to grow and learn.

Charm – Jie, loves you too. When I’m not around, do take care of the 2 oldies at home.

Cousins- especially Jen & Kev appreciate you coming down. I probably won’t be seeing you till next Christmas again.

Cheryl and Reuben – Thank you too, be happy. Was great seeing you guys at the airport.

JC gang – My heart and soul. Thanks for the gift. Zero points for effort at trying to hide the present, but 110 points out of a hundred for the thought.

Right now, there’s this drunk Indian fucker, kneeing the back of my seat. I feel like kneeing him in the balls.

Adebelle, thanks for calling last night even though we haven’t met up.

Tom! Thanks for calling, try visit me! I’ll get you some bitches maybe.

Nat, Mui, ZR, Lisa thanks for the texts.

Upon Arrival

Landing at Indira Ghandi Airport was not something that sent me reeling. After all, I was preparing for something of a shock given the horror stories and gasps from some individuals I had chatted with. It passed a lot more mundanely. Other than some fucking American redneck bastard cutting my queue for the immigration check point and the subsequent young Indian male officer offering me his personal mobile number to call him. I had a mighty suspicion that I was being hit on.

Today, I had my first rickshaw ride. Here, I foresee it being a transport necessity not like that back home, where trishaw’s blaring RnB and Hip Hop are a rip off tourist attraction. Now that was some adventure. After going to a local mall to pick-up necessities, I had to take one back to the apartment the other alternative being taking a 40 minute walk home. Indians drivers have horrible driving etiquette. The staccato blare of the horns from the continually excessive and redundant use had me cringing in fear, as the drivers weaved in and out of traffic.

My flat ain't fancy. I'm being diplomatic here. But you know what, coming face to face with poverty just about every where, I feel lucky to be where I am. Flatmates are cool, I'll get a German girl for a room mate tomorrow morning. She was due to have arrived last night, but there were strikes at the airport.

All except one flatmate - he basically treats me as if I were invisible. Queer British guy, think Rupert Everette. Very Prattish. I think I would actually like to be friends with him,he's passionate about literature and you guys know how I love literature but his standoffishness puts me off.

Here are some pictures of the flat. My Singaporean friends, do not fear for me. Everything is fine, aside from being a little messy, noted the toilet is filthy. See the pictures and you'll understand. Funny the cleaning lady doesn't clean the toilet.

Will tell you more about my flatmates and experiences so far. I'm still taking it in.

Will write more soon. First good connection I've had since I've arrived, so everything is rushed. Wish I could convey the experience I've had so far, and all its nuances - but this abbreviated version will have to do for now.

Dear friends, comment - keep this in touch thing going ya. Miss you all heaps.

Edit: I decided to remove the photos because I don't quite want this to be indentified by any chance. Wanted to intially remove the inflammtory post after this - but then I feel as if I'm removing some authenticity from my blog.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

hey jea! how're ya? miss u... hope u're settling in well... can't wait for july... enjoy the book, and the perfume (i had no part in hiding it)...

10:51 PM  
Blogger *dep* said...

*hugs babe.. please take good cares.. =)

11:31 PM  
Blogger yingz said...

hello Miss! I miss you heaps!!! *jumps jumps* i have half a mind to come n live with you in inida until i saw the toilet.. heehee. not that bad la.. Everything seems pretty ok from what you've said so far but tell us how work is ok? Take care n speak to that 'Rupert Everette' huh. Hee hee.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Duke and Kaili said...

Do buy some nice dedorant... at least it can make ur room smell nice. =)

*Hug2* Take care .. love zhirong.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm.. mysophobic adebelle is quite traumatised now. i hope ur doing fine over there. ill comment more, u blog more! get as much of this experience as u can girl! Love ya.

11:59 PM  
Blogger nubilewordsmith said...

Carol : Hey Cousin, I miss you and love you too. Don't let get into too much trouble with the boys:)

Ry: Haha, you're always the innocent one. I wish you the best of luck for the auditions, do what you love best, performing.

Mui: Don't stress girl, I've hardly seen you online so this will have to do *hugs*

Howe: You blood Chee ***, yes, feel the same - its only six months, I'll be back and be swearing at you maybe in Hindi. That will add some spice :)

YZ: I hope things are going well for you. Love life studies and all. Rupert Everett is a fucking wanker. He still is - I don't think my impression was altogether spot-off. He got mad at me for hardly any reason.

ZR: Don't stress too much, you take care of Mui for me, we'll go to Scarlett hotel for dinner when I get back. *hugs*

Cindy: Heyyy babe! I hardly see you on MSN, thanks for the top. I left the top back at home, but I brought the nice pink bag it was contained in, to store my undies!

Jerry: No more towers for me! There's no way I can play with this shitty connection. And yes, thanks for your words of advice re ants :)

Adebelle: Hey woman, I didn't get to see you before I left. But still it was nice of you to call. The toilet is traumatizing ya? :0

Cheryl:
That's really nice of you :) I'd drown you in hugs for that, but I'll give it to you when I get home. I'm relatively enjoying myself aside from an exceptionally bad day.

To all: Love yall heaps, its great to know that I've been missed and that my dear friends aren't out of touch in my life. The comments are vital and keep me going, when I feel a bit lonely.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home