Friday, June 15, 2007

I might not make a good banker/trader/accountant/cashier

I see smooth, shiny green apples packed in fives at the supermarket. I'm like "Ooooh", Granny Smith's and just 50,000 Vietnam Dong that makes 50 Singapore Cents. Cheap, cheap - so I buy them then I realize, Oh Crap - I paid a dollar for an apple. ( 1 SGD = 10,000 Dong approximately).

Yesterday I got food delivered, 42,000 dong right? So I give a 100,000 Dong note and a 2,000 Dong note and asks if she has a 50,000 one which she gives. I take my food and close the door, but not before her surprised look and "Thank you!" more enthusiastically than usual. I'm like, someone sure is happy today. 2 seconds later, I'm like FUCK.

I'm also real scroogey when I take the cab to work back and forth - minium average 28,500 Dong to work and slightly more back. When it goes to 33,000 and beyond - I get bloody uncomfortable and irrationally paranoid because I think the cab driver is taking me for a ride. Which has happened more than once. There was this guy in the same guest house - Australian I think, who got charged 40 USD for a ride which should have been well under 5 USD.

You guys think a couple cents is not a big deal? It damn right does, if you order every day. Plus, I lost about 1,100 SGD on the stock market which explains why I'm really tetchy about money lately. I got my intern allowance banked into my account one day and the next day is gone minus about 300 SGD more. Then the sales exec (who I consider a friend, but not a close friend) sitting next to me is asking how my stock is doing, he telling me his Vietnam Stock Holdings has declared a dividend and he is making profits. "Going up, going up?" I'm like er no, I want it to go down, I short sold. He doesn't understand, because he asks the same question again. Which kinda serves me right - i guess. Back home you guys would call me ghey Khiang, I know I know. Happened about 2-3 Weeks ago.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home