Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Things I dig about Vietnam

The people :
They're probably the most sincere and warm people I've met. I'm quite amazed, this coming from Singapore - land of the paper pushers. My colleagues, one of them - Judy took me to one of the markets during lunch to get a thick quilt I could sleep on ( not under) on her motorbike. Another Ahn, volunteered to send me home after work and she also took me for dinner today, at this fabulous duck vermicelli store. Another Thien, volunteered to show me around. The lady that runs the guest house, Tham, always warm and helpful. And many others.

The Food:
Love it, love it love it. If anyone of you think that Viet food stops at the O in pho - You'll be in for a treat.

Transport:
Its affordable to cab around , and hailing one off the street is easy peasy. Well, living in Gurgaon, India for a while, one year ago - I can say that the accessibility of the city is so important and I value that. Its relatively safe too, in India I didn't feel too safe by myself out at night.

Ah, more to add to the list I'm sure as I'm discovering. There's the bitch list too, but you know, I don't need anymore negativity now - so I'll save it for later .

Well, it good that I'm out of my comfort zone, pushing boundaries. I like to think what doesn't break me would equip me better to deal with situations that would confront me further down the road. Yeah, its true - its not easy making friends, but you know what, I be damned if I sit and whine and not do anything productive about it. Well, speaking about comfort zone - I did make myself take the motorbike, people who know about me know its no easy feat trying to coax a Singaporean out of the stereotypical "scaredy-cat" mindset. I'd have reconsider if the bikes are zooming at 50 km/more per hour, but they usually go around 30km/h here.

I'm feeling good :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home