Monday, April 16, 2007

Hello from Saigon

I'm surviving, but I'm less than cheery. Well, lets just say things got off the wrong foot, when I overpacked and was forced to unload much of my luggage at the airport. In the midst, my Dad took out my 3 pairs of shoes, and I'm left only with one heeled pair that could probably break apart any second.

The Guesthouse is terribly basic but clean with a rock hard bed. Its not that easy to make friends and that sucks. Well, the lady that runs the guesthouse is really nice, that counts for something, but the fucking cabbie ripped me off today charging me more than double what it would take to get to work. Hoebag.

India was a lot tougher to survive in, but somehow this seems to get on my nerves. The colleagues are warm and friendly ( on first impression today) much nicer than my colleagues in India who basically ignored me at first, unless they wanted something like help with translation. They're really helpful and nice, and patient too. Though admittedly, it got slightly better afterward. Work is tough, well like any learning curve is. Well, I'm not too concerned about the content, but am more keen to conditioning myself to learn quickly and fast. You know all the tourists on guest websites that say the Vietnamese touts are pushy, I believe they'll seriously die in India. But I had friends and a social circle there, the lack of one here I feel is getting to me.

The language barrier is a bummer. I haven't taken pictures and somehow I hardly feel like whipping out the camera. I'm getting used to eating meals by myself, the people on the streets greeting me with a "Konichiwa", like just now during dinner by myself I was eating alone, and the bunch of guys nearby was staring at me, I totally didn't want to make eye contact.

Man... I don't know, maybe it will get better this weekend. I finally found a mall - probably the only mall in Ho Chi Minh. There's a Mango around so says their website, no top shop. But this mall Diamond Mall, has the usual labels that are found at Paragon.

Trying to keep positive,

Me signing out.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

hey jea. guessing it's the unfamiliarity tt u're feeling. hope it gets better ya. the first days alone in a foreign land can get rather trying. but i think once it gets past that. u're good to go. hang in there! :D

12:11 AM  
Blogger joy said...

hey you jeanette! you don't sound too good, and i totally empathise with the shoe situation - shoes are everything! anyway, you've just arrived, so don't worry about making friends, i'm sure you'll have friends soon enough as time goes by. take pictures okie! take care of yourself!

11:21 PM  
Blogger nubilewordsmith said...

Thanks guys =)

I think I'm doing fine, took my first motorbike ride yesterday.

Love yall,

Will keep updating and hopefully take photos soon!

Hugs

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home